What is Knee Osteoarthritis?
Knee osteoarthritis is inflammation in your knee joint. It is a very common area to have arthritis and it can significantly impact the ability to perform normal daily activities.
- Swelling and inflammation
- Gait disturbance
- Osteoarthritis (wear and tear) is the most common cause/breakdown of the joint’s cartilage
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: a disease that attacks joints throughout the body
- Arthritis caused from a previous injury
- Infection of the knee
- Weight loss
- Lifestyle modifications
- Dietary supplements (no scientific evidence that these work)
- Injections (corticosteroid or viscosupplementation)
- Surgical procedures such as:
- Partial Joint Replacement: the surgeon removes only a section of the knee if the arthritis is in a finite area.
- Total Joint Replacement: the surgeon replaces the entire knee with a new knee.