What are Flat Feet?
You are considered to have flat feet when the inside arches of your feet are flat to the ground when you stand. It is usually a pain free condition but can lead to problems in your ankles and knees because it can alter the alignment of your legs.
Most people do not have any symptoms but if they do the symptoms are:
- Pain in the arch or heel area of the foot
- Pain can intensify with activity
- Swelling around the inside of the ankle
- The arches did not develop properly during childhood
- Age: tendons weaken and arches can fall over time
- Risk factors: Obesity, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Diabetes
There is no treatment necessary if there is no occurrence of pain.
- Stretching exercises
- Supportive shoes
- Physical Therapy
- Surgical repair when conservatives measures have failed